Friday, July 24, 2009

Saha, Hotel Carlton's restaurant


Hi bloggers! It's Scotty, the intern at Hotel Carlton. Here's a little summary of my meal at the hotel's restaurant, Saha.

I have always been a foodie, constantly searching for a new dining experience - whether an off the beaten path neighborhood restaurant or the Chronicle's latest favorite. My friends claim my expectations can be high, but to me, nothing beats a fantastic meal. Two dining companions joined me on my latest adventure, for which I didn't have to venture far: Saha, Hotel Carlton's very own Arabic/California-fusion restaurant. On a lively Thursday night, my so-called "high expectations" were not only met, but exceeded.

The exotic decor immediately envelops you in when you enter the restaurant. You feel as if you have landed in another world (and in some ways, you have), surrounded by bright colors, artwork, and a mix of hotel guests and locals. After spending several minutes perusing the lengthy menu, all three of us decided to go with the steal of the Prix Fixe: a soup or salad, small plate, and entree, all for $40.

My warm asparagus, goat cheese and papaya salad was great, and the mushroom ravioli in a creamy mango-pepper sauce was absolutely divine - the perfect balance of sweet and savory. For my main course, I went with the lamb tagine (lamb stew with a mix of veggies and large, doughy couscous), which was also very good. Even though we were all pretty full by the end of the meal, we couldn't pass up dessert, and ordered three (warm chocolate cake, bisbusa, and gelato) - all of which were excellent. Service was attentive and prompt without being overbearing. Our water glasses were always refilled quickly, and our server had excellent recommendations.

I cannot gush about Saha enough. No wonder it's rated "Excellent" in the Zagat Guide! I can't wait to try their breakfast. The only complaint I have is that it's not close enough to my house, so I can't go every day! :)

http://www.jdvhotels.com/dining/saha

2 comments:

  1. With summer vacation almost here, I decided to start looking for a unique place to travel. Tired of the usual beach vacations, my husband and I decided that we would like to go somewhere new this year.

    Not wanting to get our passports renewed, we wanted to stay in the US. And so our search began. Limiting our search to something we have never done before, we decided that we wanted to go make the outdoors a focus on this trip. Not the usual outdoors buffs, with any hiking experience or anything under our belt, we decided that a nature cruise type vacation was just what we needed.

    We decided to go for an Alaska cruise. I researched a ton of boat companies in Alaska and we were set.

    The company we chose is known for its alaska fishing tours, and after visiting, we know why. The scenery is stunning, and you will see a variety of wildlife, glaciers, and other things not found elsewhere in the US.

    For anyone wanting to vacation somewhere unique this year, I highly recommend an Alaskan cruise. You truly won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really Impressed to this great hotel and hotel service.I like this excellent hotel and hotel rooms.It is very wonderful and fantastic.This one resort is very classic and popular of the world.

    Hotel cabofrio

    ReplyDelete